[Zbrafish] RE: Starvation of older zebrafish to increase egg production?

Michael Lardelli via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by michael.lardelli from adelaide.edu.au)
Thu May 17 19:57:20 EST 2012

I think David has made a number of assumptions about how we manage our fish without knowing our current situation. We have many fish in our system that are 18-24 months old. However, it concerns me when people try to suppress discussion of animal welfare topics because they find them unpleasant or for some reason personally offensive. I think the topic of feeding regimes and fish reproductive health is directly relevant on this forum.

Regards,

Michael Lardelli

-----Original Message-----
From: David G. White [mailto:dgw5079 from u.washington.edu]
Sent: Friday, 18 May 2012 9:46 AM
To: Michael Lardelli
Cc: bionet-organisms-zebrafish from moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: [Zbrafish] RE: Starvation of older zebrafish to increase egg production?

If your following proper animal laboratory protocols you would not have the problem in the first place. Your fish may already be under stress and you seek knowledge to possibly exacerbate your situation! Perhaps culling the fish after 12 months is better than 18, either way we do neither here, our fish are reliable breeders up to 2 years.

I must admit I was a bit shocked when I saw your subject and I apologize if you took offense to my comments. We are all looking for knowledge but I don't think your subject is proper for this forum.

David G White
Research Coordinator
HSB Zebrafish Labs
University of Washington