[Arabidopsis] gus staining chloroplast wash off

Rosemary White via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by rosemary.white from csiro.au)
Tue May 15 17:43:02 EST 2012

Hi Tina,

After the 70% ethanol wash following GUS staining, you need to go to 95%
for at least 1 h - we often leave overnight, then 100% ethanol, may need
to change the 100% wash a couple of times. You'll see the pigments come
out at these higher solvent levels.

Then for long-term storage, if you need it, and for image capture, go back
to 70% ethanol - the tissue is too brittle at the higher solvent levels.

In our hands, it's more effective to go to 95% then 100% rather than
straight from 70% to 100%. Acetone is a better extracting solvent for
these pigments but it's considered quite toxic these days so try to stick
with ethanol.

cheers,
Rosemary

Dr Rosemary White