IUBio

[Arabidopsis] Yellowing seedlings on MS

Tobias Baskin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by baskin from bio.umass.edu)
Tue May 29 14:43:35 EST 2012

John,

	I suspect that arabidopsis roots in the 'wild' might get more
light than many others insofar as they grow in disturbed open areas,
though of course not as much light as in a growth chamber. Roots of
many species stop elongation or nearly so when exposed to light.

	At least plants are often sucrose limited. I can see no
analgous argument for vitamins and I agree tha the addition of
vitamins is probably an appendix, as it were. The sucrose in the
medium  perhaps acts like some extra photosynthate, feeding the root.
In our hands, for plants on plates, the addition of 1% sucrose makes
root elongation more uniform among a set of plants on a plate, which
is certainly convenient.

	As ever,
		Tobias