IUBio

[Arabidopsis] Yellowing seedlings on MS

John Turner (BIO) via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by J.G.Turner from uea.ac.uk)
Tue May 29 13:50:19 EST 2012

Dear Tobias

Our experience confirms your comment that MS salts at full strength suppress growth of Arabidopsis in axenic culture, and we use half-strength, as you suggest. We don't use vitamins. Likewise there should be no need for sucrose for growing green plants. But we use 1%.

The MS medium was originally for culture of non-photosynthetic cells and tissues, and has been adopted possibly without extensive testing for Arabidopsis. Growing Arabidopsis in agarose has other undesirable effects. Light induces proplastid development in roots (which are normally kept dark in soil) and this may reduce growth. Many years ago this group posted that Arabidopsis grows better when its roots are in medium which promotes drainage, so soggy agarose may not help.

On a quiet road near where I live there is a 10 metre row of robust Arabidopsis plants, now in full seed, growing out of a 1/8 inch crack between the kerb and paving stones....

John

John Turner
Professor of Plant Science
University of East Anglia