[Arabidopsis] RE: LED Growth Chamber

Folta, Kevin M. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by kfolta from ufl.edu)
Sat Jan 4 20:30:33 EST 2014

Ben,

The Percivals are nice but costly.  11 years ago I bought standard no-lite percivals and put in my own fluroescents and LED.  The big issue is that the temp-only chambers are not equipped to deal with high heat loads, so ballasts, etc must be on the outside.

In terms of LED you have many options.  I've been using a Mark V Plant Whisperer system that gives loads of fluence rate at 530, 580, 525, 580, 660 and 730, each individually controllable for time, fluence rate and mixutre.  Very flexible.  Not crazy expensive.

We've just fit a walk-in room with these sources and can run a dozen experiments at one time.

That's my solution.  Certainly the Percival is the Cadillac of the genre, but other solutions can do more for fewer dollars.

Kevin

Kevin M. Folta
Interim Chair and Associate Professor
Horticultural Sciences Department
Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Program and
Institute for Plant Innovation
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611

352-273-4812

Don't tell me it can't be done... Tell me how you are going to help me do it.