[Arabidopsis] Bouts of infertility

Pablo JENIK via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by pablojenik from aya.yale.edu)
Wed Jan 29 10:30:25 EST 2014

Dear Community,

See if you can help me solve this mystery. Our Arabidopsis plants in the
greenhouse are experiencing bouts of infertility, as in, the flowers don't
get fertilized and don't form siliques (rather inconvenient when you study
embryos). I've seen this before but this last month seems more noticeable.
I can't figure out why this happens. Curiously, does not happen to all
plants, even plants on the same flat. And the same plant will suddenly
recover and start making siliques again, or will have some inflos affected
but not others! Our environment is fairly stable, about 20°C at night up to
~25°C during the day, ~65% RH, long days with supplemental lights now in
winter. And I don't think it's thrips this time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much,

Pablo

--