Dear US researchers-
The deadline to apply for NEW childcare subsidies to enable participation in the 2017 Arabidopsis Conference/ICAR by parents (particularly early-career parents, i.e. asst. prof or earlier, and parents of young children).
The Conference is June 19-23 in St. Louis and this meeting will not return to North America until 2020 at the soonest.
Childcare Support for the 28th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research
**For Applicants working in the US and Canada**
Up to ten (10) child care subsidy awards, anticipated to range from $400-$750 each, depending on demonstrated need and success in fundraising.
Eligibility and Application Information is Below
Objective: To encourage and enable plant scientists with small children to attend this meeting, and remove as many barriers to their participation as possible, the North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee (NAASC) has applied for funding to help partially defray childcare costs for a limited number of US early career plant scientists (we hope to provide one or more awards to Canadian applicants.)
Depending on funding we hope to provide up to 10 awards of approximately $500 each for US and Canadian conference attendees. Applicants must be plant biology researchers or students who work at accredited universities or institutions in the US or Canada (see eligibility below). Awards are given as reimbursements after the conference.
Since these awards by themselves will be insufficient to pay for the entire meeting other funds must be available to applicants to cover the additional costs. Award notification will be emailed to all applicants March 28, before the early registration fee deadline of March 31.
Deadlines for Research Abstracts:
Oral presentation consideration: March 31, 2017; Poster only presentation: May 12, 2017 (this is the latest date to submit an abstract to ICAR 2017)
Childcare Subsidy Eligibility:
(1) Applicants must be full-time plant biology researchers in accredited American or Canadian universities or institutions.
(2) Funding priorities are outlined in ‘Selection Criteria’ below.
(3) Awardees must submit an abstract to the meeting no later than May 12 AND present a poster or oral presentation.
You do not have to submit an abstract to the conference before award notifications are given but if selected, you must submit an abstract before final deadlines (March 31 for oral consideration; May 12 for posters.) You must present your abstract to receive funding.
Citizenship Requirements: Funding is limited to US and Canadian researchers. Funds may be allocated more to US citizens or permanent residents; NAASC is pursuing additional funding sources to provide some awards to international researchers working in US labs.
Selection Criteria (in no particular order of importance):
(1) Career stage
(2) Applicants from PUIs (Primarily Undergraduate Institutions); have limited grant funding; or are from groups underrepresented in science in the US (Native Americans (American Indians and Alaskan Natives), African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans (specifically of Central or South American descent), and Native Pacific Islanders)
(3) Demonstration of life and/or educational barriers and challenges overcome: e.g. single parent; first generation college graduate; later in life return to college/research; veteran
(4) Clear articulation of the value of attending ICAR to their career and what they hope to achieve by participating.
• Complete applications must be received by REVISED TO: March 17 by Dr. Friesner (jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu)
• Applicants will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of application, if you don’t receive one, email again). Applicants will be notified of the award committee’s decisions by March 28.
• Notifications will be sent to all applicants (including those NOT selected) before the reduced registration fee deadline to allow lower registration even if your application is not selected for funding.
• Award recipients must register for the conference before submitting their research abstract. You may present a poster or be considered for an oral presentation (March 31 deadline for oral consideration; May 12 deadline for poster presentation. If you aren’t chosen to give an oral presentation, your abstract will convert to a poster presentation.)
• Awardees must submit a research abstract online no later than May 12 for funding purposes.
Application Directions, Cover Sheet, and List of Required Items
Completed applications must be received by March 17, 2017 in one PDF or. docx or .doc file (not separate files) by Dr. Joanna Friesner, NAASC/ICAR 2017 Coordinator (jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu).
*Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be considered
*IF YOU DON’T RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL WITHIN 2 DAYS OF SENDING YOUR APPLICATION, YOU SHOULD RE-SEND IT TO BE SURE IT DIDN’T GET LOST IN TRANSIT.
1. Fully completed Child Care Award Information Letter (see below)
2. Brief research abstract that you will present at ICAR if you are selected (up to 300 words)
3. Curriculum vitae or resume (1-3 pages maximum) which must include undergraduate, graduate education and degree attainment, and professional appointments (as applicable); and should include awards/fellowships, scientific presentations given, relevant activities, & up to 5 recent publications
4. Brief paragraph (up to 250 words) explaining how receiving a childcare subsidy would enable your participation, including your specific need and how you plan to use the subsidy, if selected.
5. Brief paragraph (up to 250 words) describing how attending the ICAR will impact your research and/or career, and what you hope to gain from participating in the conference.
28th ICAR Child Care Award Cover Letter
For Applicants working in the US and Canada ONLY
Deadline for Applications: March 17, 2017
Award Notification: March 28, 2017
Reduced registration fee/abstract submission for oral presentation consideration: March 31, 2017
Final deadline for abstract submission for poster presentations: May 12, 2017
Applicant Name (First, Last):
City: State: Zip Code: Country: US or Canada Only
Indicate your status: Undergraduate Student; Graduate Student; Postdoctoral scholar; Faculty member
Applicant’s Telephone: Applicant’s Email address:
Advisor/PI’s Name (faculty, write ‘n/a’):
Advisor/PI’s email address:
Have you previously received any support from the NAASC to attend an ICAR? Yes (if yes, what year/location?) or No
Please note: Gender: Ethnicity:
List your country of legal citizenship:
Send complete applications (cover letter + supporting documentation) by March 17, 2017 via email
(in one Word or PDF file) to Joanna Friesner, ICAR 2017 Organizer and NAASC Coordinator (jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu).