West Virginia State University Research and Development Corporation
Institute, WV 25112
Job Title: Bioinformatican
Department/ Office: Department of Biology and the Gus R. Douglass Institute, Agricultural and
Environmental Research Station
Reports to: Dr.Umesh K. Reddy
FLSA Status: NON- EXEMPT
The Bioinformatician position is a full-time position based at the West Virginia State University, Institute, West Virginia to work in the laboratory of Dr. Umesh K. Reddy, department of Biology and Gus R. Douglass Institute, Agricultural and Environmental Research Station. This position is supported from a USDA- NIFA funded grant for developing a comprehensive molecular understanding of plant responses to environmental and developmental cues at both transcriptional and epigenetic levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Research Activities 80%
Other Duties 20%
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will lead and participate in projects to characterize gene regulatory networks underlying plant environmental and developmental responses, by processing and mining SNPs from resequenced genomes, RNA-Seq and ChIP-Seq datasets. The position requires the ability and willingness to assist the scientist and other undergraduates working in this project and conduct independent research.
1. Technical Capacity.
2. Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
4. Collaboration Skills.
5. Communication Proficiency both in orally and in writing.
7. Extensive software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities.
8. Ability to work with a diverse ethnic group is required.
9. Must be able to work both independently and as a member of a team.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This job operates in a Laboratory.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summer Schedule is Monday through Friday. 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p. m.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
1. PhD degree in genomics, biology, plant science, computer science, statistics, biological engineering, or in any related field.
2. Working knowledge of genomics, molecular biology and genetics as evidenced by peer reviewed publications.
Additional Essential Qualifications
1. Prior experience in NGS/Network data analysis such as De novo genome assembly and Gap closing (SOAP de novo, ABySS, Allpaths-LG, MaSuRCA, Velvet, SPAdes SSPACE, GapFiller, GMCloser), Hybrid assembly using reads from multiple platforms, RNA Seq and differential gene expression (Trinity, Velvet-Oases, Cufflinks, Cuffdiff, EdgeR, DESeq), Re-sequencing, mapping and variant calling (BWA, samtools, vcftools, bcftools, GATK tools), Network analysis (Cytoscape, WGCNA, BinGO), gene prediction (GLIMMER, Augustus, FGENESH, GENSCAN, DOGMA), Gene and variant annotation (Stand-alone BLAST, SnpEff, ANNOVAR, pathway mapping), tools for comparative genomics, etc…
2. Working knowledge of MySQL, R, Shell and Perl/Python.
3. Prior experience in Library preparation (DNA, RNA and Exome) and sequencing using Illumina (NextSeq500) and Nanopore (MinION) sequencing platforms for different applications
Position would also require to assist in teaching and training of students and technicians in various bioinformatic pipelines. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Before an offer of employment is made, a pre-employment background investigation will be completed, which may include a criminal background check, educational, DMV and prior employment.
Please send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and recent letters of recommendation from three professional references with contact information to:
Brunetta Gamble-Dillard, Director of Business and Finance,
West Virginia State University Research and Development Corporation,
POB 1000, 204 ACEOP Administration Building,
Institute, WV - 25112.
PREFERRED: Information accepted as e-mailed in Word or PDF format to rdemployment from wvstateu.edu Closing Date: May 30, 2017
WV State University Research and Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer complies with Federal and State laws and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, creed, genetic information & testing, family & medical leave, pregnancy, and Veterans and individuals with disabilities. We encourage all qualified women, minorities, protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.