graduate school

Danny Fendley, Dept. of Entomology simoneks at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 19 15:37:04 EST 1994

I am currently finishing a MS at the University of Georgia and have worked
for the past two years on the neuroendrocrinology of Aedes, as you all know
an important vector.  On June 1 I will be leaving the united states to work
with the Peace Corps in Kenya until September 1996.  After my time in the
Peace Corps I will eventually return to graduate school to continue studies
to pursue a PhD.  As an undergrad I took a few classes from Gerry Esch at Wake
Forest University which sparked my interest in parasitology and hence my work
in vector pathology.  I have ties with Rick Tarlton, here at UGA, both Gerry
and Raymond Kuhn of Wake Forest and also several folks at CDC in Atlanta,
notably Frank Collins and William Hawley.  So given the above information
I would like to draw upon your experience for the best possible venue for
graduate school.  Theoretically I would like to do the bulk of my work either
in South East Asia or South America.  Ironically a conservation debate has
come about recently which is one of the areas in which I would like to focus.
I have done extensive literature reviews on the incidence of emergent zoonoses
most recently the Marburg and Ebola viruses from Africa.  One of the questions
is that how many more undiscovered possible zoonotic organisms lie in wait to
wrek havoc on humans, of which I am not a big fan.  So I would appreciate
an response and it can be directed to SIMONEKS at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU or simply
SIMONKES at UGA.   Thanks in advance for your time and effort.