What do mosquitoes eat?

Steve Meshnick meshnick at sph.umich.edu
Tue Jan 10 08:52:11 EST 1995

		 Here is a general answer to the question:
     Only female mosquitoes take blood meals.  Males never do.  Males eat
plant materials such as nectar.  Females do as well.   Females are
supposed to take blood meals only at a certain point in their lifecycle,
when they are a few days away from laying their eggs (and the blood
provides iron for the eggs.)
	   Now I'd like to ask a related question.  Does anyone know exactly
what plant materials each of the Anopheline vectors eat (i.e., A.
gambiae)?  I should think this would be important and it might provide
clues for: 1) trapping mosquitoes and 2) site-specific insecticide
application.  I was told by a botanist once that the mosquito proboscis
is adapted to sucking from xylem and phloem (as well as capillaries).
	Steve Meshnick