Causal link between parasites and cancer?

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Nov 9 13:10:38 EST 1995

Perry:

	While not an expert on this aspect of parasitology, two cancers
come to mind.  But first let me ask what parasites are being discussed in
the book, or are just parsites in general being blamed.

	First Schistosoma hematobium is associated with an increased
incidence of bladder cancers but there is also a correlation I believe
with a bacterial component to the infection which then becomes a
confounding variable.

	The second organism that I seem to remember causing cancer was
Sparganum sp (possibly I am confusing it with Spirocerca) which causes
cancer of the aorta in canines.

	Steve Kayes