Giardia, flagyl resistance and quinacrine

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu Jun 27 08:59:35 EST 1996

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, colin semple wrote:

> A couple of cases of giardiasis have recently given us reason to suspect
> flagyl resistance.   Previously most suspected resistance we could
> attribute to non-compliance or reinfection.  Our problem is that quinacrine is
> getting harder and harder to get.   Here in Canada, Tinidazole is not an
> option.  Any other alternatives?  Any suggestions?

	Do a Medline search for albendazole and giardia. I did that quite
a few months back and found several references......mostly in developing
countries, and in connection with school-age children.  An experimental
trial of fenbendazole in canines (Am Jour Vet Res 55:988) showed 100%
efficacy when dogs were treated 50mg/kg, PO q 24hr, 3 doses. FBZ is not
approved for human use although it is safer than ABZ.  Good luck!

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, M.A.                   *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *