Mounting medium

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Tue Oct 22 17:25:41 EST 1996

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Riccardo A. Fiorillo wrote:

> Thank you for your quick response.  I am familiar with Canada Balsam, but
> it is out of my price range.  Have you heard anything about Cytoseal? I
> saw it in the Carolina Math and Science Catalog #66, and I was wondering
> if it is worth trying.  Thanks again, Ricky A. Fiorillo.

I am not familiar with it at all. If you have to use a synthetic medium,
you may be able to rescue your specimen if the medium crystalizes over
time, by floating off the coverslip with xylene, and remounting the
specimen.. I will be doing a lot of that this year for teaching slides
that have outlived their mountant. For valuable specimens, the risk of
damage is too great. The best advice I can offer is to teach a
parasitology lab, and leave some room in the course budget for Balsam...

Derek Zelmer