Mounting medium

Judith C. Price bw032 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Fri Oct 25 22:16:16 EST 1996

One scan of a museum collection will prove (as Dr. Gibson of the NHM has
stated) that synthetic media do not stand the test of time.  You can
restore some specimens with the method Derek describes below, but if the
crystalization has gone too far the specimen will also fracture.  Then you
end up trying to remount bits!

I get better results sometimes by adding xylene at the edge to soften the
medium, then later (depends on the thickness of the preparation and other
factors, maybe age of the prep.) freezing the mount, and flipping off the
cover slip while very cold.  Most of the time (95 of 100?) the specimen and
mountant will remain on the slide while the cover slip comes off clean.
Then remove the mountant only in the perimeter of the preparation by
scoring around the animal and chipping off the excess.  Cover and surround
the animal with thin balsam and put on a new cover slip.  Skip Sterner
and Mary Hansen Pritchard taught me most of this method.

Now if someone could tell me how to restore protist Type slides in Hoyer's
medium?

Judith C. Price
Parasite Collection
Canadian Museum of Nature