Cryptospordium and Frog parasite/deformities

Darwin Wittrock, Ph.D. wittrod at uwec.edu
Wed Oct 30 15:40:31 EST 1996

Fellow Parasitologists - two questions:

1.  Does anyone know a source for purchasing microscope slides of
Cryptospordium oocysts?  I would like to have my parasit students look at
these in lab.

2.  I've seen a few articles (recent one in the St. Paul Pioneer Press)
concerning a parasite of frogs (likely a metacercaria) that develops as
adults in garter snakes and is responsible for the limb deformities that
have been appearing ranid frogs.  I assume that it is an Ochetosomatid of
some sort.  Does anyone know which species it is?

Thanks,
Darwin Wittrock
Parasitologist
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire