Asthma inducing parasites?

William Reeder "wmr-60 at xi.netcom.com" at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 26 19:53:59 EST 1997

Simon M wrote:

> has anybody any information on parasites that could possibly cause
> Asthma
> or any thing related?
>
> Much appreciatedA number of nematode parasites are known to produce asthma-like symptoms
in humans.  Those worms which have larval migrations through the lung
will produce this type response.  Ascaris lumbricoides, Strongyloides
stercoralis and to a lesser extent hookworms all may produce asthma.
Filarial worms are another group which may produce asthma-like symptoms.
When infected with Wuchereria bancrofti or Brugia malayi the microfilaria
retreat to the lung when not circulatingand asthma-like symptoms may
occur.  Another situation in which  asthma occurs is when adult worms are
resient in the respiratory tract, this occurs with Mammomonogamus
laryngeus infection.  This worm infects humans in the Caribbean.  There
are probably other examples as well. I hope this information is helpful.