Pepsin-HCl digests and PCR

Greg Appleyard greg.appleyard at usask.ca
Mon Jun 7 10:44:11 EST 1999

Hi John,

I worked on a project to identify the species/biotype of Trichinella
isolates collected a variety of wildlife species. Samples of muscle
(tongue and other bits) were collected and stored frozen (some for many
months) prior to shipping to the lab. The meat samples were trimmed and
then subjected to pepsin-HCL digests. Larvea were collected by
differential sedimentation in pilsner flasks.

In prepration for PCR, the larvae were either simply boiled in water or
boiled and then subjected to a typical phenol/chloroform extaction
protocol. Extraction of nucleic acids simplt by boiling is not as
sensitive as phenol/cloroform extractions but when many larvae (30+) were
available either method worked well.

My guess is that if the larave of the parasites you are looking for in
mucosa will survive the pepsin/HCL digest intact, then they will be in
good shape for DNA extraction and PCR. The key is that they need to
survive the digest intact.

If you need more information about our protocol you can contact me;
greg.appleyard at usask.ca

Cheers,
Greg Appleyard
University of Saskatchewan