Folk remedies for worms

TRPLATT trplatt at aol.com
Sat Jun 19 05:31:38 EST 1999

Over the years, I have had students try a number of different herbal remedies
(garlic, black walnut, european walnut) to determine their efficacy on a
trematode infection (Echinostoma caproni in ICR mice). None have had any
statistically demonstrable effect on the number, distribution, morphology or
reproductive capacity of the parasite. This doesn't mean that they might not be
effective against some other types of infections, but I wouldn't want to trust
them to cure something that would seriously affect my health and for which
there are clinically proven treatments available.

Hope this helps.

Tom Platt
Dept. of Biology
Saint Mary's College