stagnant water question

Qihotey qihotey at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 20:08:32 EST 1999

I live in Chicago, and have a pool of stagnant water from which I harvest
mosquito larvae for my fish.  Other visitors to my pool are raccoons, skunks,
opposums, cats and birds.  I recently noticed that beside mosquito larvae,
there were red 'nematodes', approximately two thirds of  an inch long, which
occasionally would rise out of the muck on the bottom and vigorously whip their
way to the top, then across the pool, and then go back down into the muck.
They are bright red, with a small brown head, and no visible legs other than
one or two sets of grasping legs immediately in front of their posterior end.
Could someone please tell me what they may be, would they infect my fish, and
should I immediately destroy my pool?
Please be so kind as to reply to my e-mail address, that being
EliezerE at aol.com.
Thank you!