Dientamoeba Fragilis

Mammoth mammoth at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri May 21 16:18:34 EST 1999

My three year old was recently diagnosed with having the parasite
Dientameoba Fragilis.  Symptoms included: fatigue, weight loss, stomach
cramps, and bright green to olive-green diarrhea.  She was treated twice a
day for 20 days with medication but still the "bug" persists.  My family
physician (who admitted to not knowing much about this parasite) referred me
to a pediatrician.  After consulting with the pediatrician, he felt that she
required no further treatment but I feel if the "bug" is still there,
further steps are needed to eliminate it.  My questions are: What are the
possible complications of having this parasite?
Where could she have picked it up (the rest of the family have tested
negative)?  Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Lisa Fournier