atypical myoglobin urea

Stephan Helfer S.Helfer at rbge.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 08:08:18 EST 1996

dear toxicologists
I am a mycologist and know precious little about toxicology. However, 
a friend recently called with rotting wood samples which had been chewed by 
horses. One of the three horses in the wooded field in Sutherland /
Scotland was found dead one morning, having died of atypical 
myoglobin urea. From the wood we could only isolate Vuilleminia 
comedens and a few lichens (mainly Parmelia sp.) and mosses. To me it 
seems unlikely that the horse died as a result of eating any of the 
above organisms, and my question is whether anybody has any 
experience with the toxins involved in atypical myoglobin urea. 

Thanks in advance


Yours sincerely 

Dr Stephan Helfer, SSO 
Mycologist / Plant Pathologist 

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, Inverleith Row, EDINBURGH EH3 5LR,
Scotland UK 


phone: +44 (0)131 552 7171 ext 280 
    or +44 (0)131 459 0446-280 (direct digital VoiceMail line) 
fax:   +44 (0)131 552 0382 
 A century of fungal science 

More information about the Toxicol mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net