Urushiol, poison ivy smoke

Le Regret Souriant oiseaux.chers at thetys.com
Fri Jul 10 07:34:52 EST 1998

I would like to receive confirmation of the following fact, namely that
people can get severely hurt from inhaling even small amounts of
smoke from a fire that may contain poison ivy leaves, twigs, roots...

I am hoping that the temperature of the fire is sufficient to destroy the
urushiol present in the poison ivy. But maybe not.

This may be of concern to people clearing fields, underbrush etc.
and who are using fire as the "disposal agent"...which is precisely
what one of my neighbors is doing. This may also occur during an
accidental brush fire if poison ivy is present in the area.


More information about the Toxicol mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net