Comparing lead and mercury is like comparing apples and oranges. There are
certainly concerns for both. First, dental amalgams contain both mercury
and silver. Depending on the age and condition of the filling, if you grind
your teeth regularly or if you have a particular sensitivity, the
bioaccumulation and affect on individuals can greatly differ. However
eating mercury contaminated fish (methyl mercury) has been shown to be a
significant contributor to mercury ingestion.
Lead has it's own issues on human health. Particularly if it is an exposure
to children. I'm not sure it's sage advise to say no problem on lead. In
children, depending on developmental stage and amount ingested, it can have
a substantial impact on a child's mental development.
I'm not sure what info specifically you are looking for but there are plenty
of research papers that have been written on both topics.
Health & Environmental Investigator
King County Department of Natural Resources
Hazardous Waste Management Program
> From: arie at no.mail.thanks.nl[SMTP:arie at no.mail.thanks.nl]
> Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 9:14 AM
> To: toxicol at net.bio.net> Subject: Re: Question about Heavy Metals
>> Don't worry about lead.
> Mercury is much more dangerous, and leaks continuously out of your
> amalgam fillings. Very often much more than the maximum acceptable
> (WHO) limit of 43 micro gram per day. See for instance:
>http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/KRAUSS/amalgam.html>> 30% of our body enzyms contain sulfur bonds, which are occupied by
> mercury, inhibiting the functioning of the enzyms.
>>> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:54:54 +0900, "Pepero" <gildongh at yahoo.com>
>> >Hello Everybody
> >I hope I'm in the right place to ask this question;
> >Why are heavy metals such as lead harmful to humans?