IUBio

Question about Heavy Metals

Laughlin, Sherry Sherry.Laughlin at METROKC.GOV
Mon Mar 8 14:44:15 EST 1999

Comparing lead and mercury is like comparing apples and oranges.  There are
certainly concerns for both.  First, dental amalgams contain both mercury
and silver.  Depending on the age and condition of the filling, if you grind
your teeth regularly or if you have a particular sensitivity, the
bioaccumulation and affect on individuals can greatly differ.  However
eating mercury contaminated fish (methyl mercury) has been shown to be a
significant contributor to mercury ingestion.

Lead has it's own issues on human health.  Particularly if it is an exposure
to children.  I'm not sure it's sage advise to say no problem on lead. In
children, depending on developmental stage and amount ingested, it can have
a substantial impact on a child's mental development.

I'm not sure what info specifically you are looking for but there are plenty
of research papers that have been written on both topics.

Sherry Laughlin
Health & Environmental Investigator
King County Department of Natural Resources
Hazardous Waste Management Program