IUBio

Intraspecies Variability

James Stanley Smith, Jr., Ph.D. jssmith at oak-creek.net
Wed May 19 08:26:24 EST 1999

You are correct to assume that a small percentage of the populace may be more
sensitive to mercury intoxication than the general populace, however, even
this small population's sensitivity is limited.  US EPA and other human health
organizations typically use an uncertainty factor (UF) of 10 (no information)
or 3 (limited information) to account for variability in human sensitivity.
This UF is in addition to UFs that are typically used to account for a limited
data base (10), interspecies extrapolation (10), extrapolation from subchronic
to chronic study results (10), and extrapolation from a low observed adverse
effect level (LOAEL) to a no observed adverse effect level (NOAEL).  When
appropriate, these UFs are multiplied together (UF product) and used to lower
the lowest amount of mercury shown to have an effect in the most sensitive
animal species (LOAEL) or to lower the NOAEL, defined as the dose below a
LOAEL at which no adverse effect occurs.  As you can see there can be a lot of
additional uncertainty taken into account in the derivation of the level of a
compound that is deemed "safe" and thought to be unlikely to cause adverse
effects over a lifetime of exposure.

For elemental mercury such as that used in amalgam, the US EPA
<http://www.epa.gov/ngispgm3/iris/subst/0370.htm> uses a UF product of 30; 10
was used for the protection of sensitive human subpopulations (including
concern for acrodynia) and 3 was used for the lack of a sufficent data base,
particularly developmental and reproductive studies.

Current scientific studies suggest that an UF of 10 is adequate and in fact
very likely to be overprotective of the most sensitive human population.
Consequently, there is little concern for adverse health effects developing in
humans from chronic exposure to elemental mercury vapor that does not exceed
0.3 micrograms per cubic meter air (ug/m3).

Finally, I do not want to suggest absolutely that some people are not affected
by chronic exposure to lower concentrations of elemental mercury vapor, but I
am not aware of any scientific evidence in support of their health claims.

--

James S. Smith, Jr., Ph.D.
President & Toxicologist

OAK CREEK, Inc.