IUBio

FW: Intraspecies Variability

James Stanley Smith, Jr., Ph.D. jssmith at oak-creek.net
Wed May 26 08:40:18 EST 1999

Your post is quite intriguing.  Can you supply me with a reference(s) to your
statement that "exposure to mercury from amalgams can be a lot higher than the
amount that corresponds to 0.3 ug/m^3?"

For comparison purposes, only 0.01 percent of elemental mercury is absorbed in
the gut following oral ingestion (US EPA Mercury Study Report to Congress,
1996).  In contrast, nearly all (100 percent) of the inhaled elemental mercury
is thought to be absorbed in the lung.  Combine this with an assumed respiration
rate of 20 m^3/day (US EPA default value used in risk assessment, 1989) and one
would have to ingest 600 ug/day (0.3 ug/m^3 x 20 m^3/day = amount absorbed via
inhalation, then multiply by 100 to get the presumed equivalent oral dose
ingested) to have an equivalent exposure to 0.3 ug/m^3.  This calculation is, of
course, crude and may not represent any particular reality, but it does provide
a point of departure for discussing the relative exposure to mercury in dental
amalgams.

I hope that you will respond similarly, by sharing your knowledge in this area.
I look forward to a meaningful discussion of this issue.

--

James S. Smith, Jr., Ph.D.
President & Toxicologist

OAK CREEK, Inc.