IUBio

IVF Laboratories and environmental factors

Antonia Gilligan antoniagilligan at sprynet.com
Thu Oct 21 07:17:35 EST 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF1B9A.A8563A00

Hello:

I have been active in doing base line monitoring at various IVF =
laboratories worldwide. Analysis are done by a combination of GC, GC/MS. =
HPLC,  etc with sensitivities at the ppb level. Our work has =
concentrated on airborne based interactions, offgassing products from =
plastics, impurities in carbon dioxide used in pH management, trace =
impurities in IVF media, and PAH's in mineral oil .

Particular interest is in the impact of formaldehyde and higher =
aldehydes on human embryos and balstocycts culture in simple media (HTF) =
or more complex media such as (G1.2 and G2.2).

As you are well aware, the "naked" embryo in the lab is without many of =
maternal buffers, liver. kidneys etc so they may be uniquely sensitive =
to the impact of many materials,=20

Any comments?

Antonia Gilligan

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF1B9A.A8563A00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have been active in doing base line =
monitoring at=20
various IVF laboratories worldwide. Analysis are done by a combination =
of GC,=20
GC/MS. HPLC,  etc with sensitivities at the ppb level. Our work has =
concentrated=20
on&nbsp;airborne based interactions, offgassing products from plastics,=20
impurities in carbon dioxide used in pH management, trace impurities in =
IVF=20
media, and PAH's in mineral oil .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Particular interest is in the impact of =

formaldehyde and higher aldehydes on human embryos and balstocycts =
culture in=20
simple media (HTF) or more complex media such as (G1.2 and =
G2.2).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As you are well aware, the "naked" =
embryo in the=20
lab is without many of maternal buffers, liver. kidneys etc so they may =
be=20
uniquely sensitive to the impact of many materials, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any comments?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Antonia Gilligan</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF1B9A.A8563A00--