IUBio

telomeres

ABUBU abubu at aol.com
Sat May 28 17:34:02 EST 1994

In article <68388 at sdcc12.ucsd.edu>, wsun at jeeves.ucsd.edu (Fiberman)
writes:

>There's no selection for longevity genes since as long as
>an organsim reaches the reproductive age, it has survived well
>in the evolutionary sense.

I have heard this several times, but I do not see why.  Wouldn't an
organism that stayed as a reproductive adult permanently have a great
advantage?  It could have ten times (just to pick a number) as many
offspring as another organism that aged normally.  It would also have
a better chance of staying alive, and rearing it's young by virtue of
experience.