IUBio

Telomerase Part II

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Tue Apr 11 00:38:52 EST 1995

My proposal to examine G-quartet structures at the end of telomeres as a
means of preventing further telomere elongation is a dead end.  I acquired
information shortly after the post that this is not a likely
possibility...it appears that G-quartets involving telomere ends is more
likely to be associated with synapsis during meiosis rather than a normal
state of telomeric ends.  Pity.  With a S. cerevisiae enzyme identified
that specifically cleaves G-quartet structures on a single strand 5' of
the structure, and G-quartets being inhibitory to telomerase driven
elongation, it looked like it could make a nice little regulatory tool.
The latest poop I got from a colleague was that a crystal structure, as
well as NMR data, on the 3' overhang region of human telomeres under
physiological conditions was available - including bound proteins
attached, forms a hairpin loop back on itself, with Hoogstein base
pairings between repetitive Gs.
  Back to the drawing board.  Though I do have another idea...

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Patrick