Deer repellent and nut crops

goddard at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu goddard at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Sat Feb 5 00:12:58 EST 1994

I am using a deer repellent called "Ropel" on seedling walnut,
oak, and chestnut trees. The label for this very bitter-tasting
substance warns against using it on sugar maples when sap is
flowing, and against using it on fruit or nut crops. Does anyone
know if there will be any residual effect of this substance on the
nut crops of mature trees (will my chestnuts make me pucker ten
years after my last application of Ropel)? This seems unlikely,
but I thought I might as well ask. I could always make welded-
wire cages for the chestnuts.
-- steve g.