windthrow

Terry Brown tb at tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz
Mon Apr 1 16:00:17 EST 1996

Stuart Brown wrote:

> Terry Brown <tb at tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz> writes:
> >contorta is a class B noxious weed (in New Zealand), (is that
> >only in some regions perhaps), anyway, it's very hard to control the
> >spread, particularly in windy sites.  A 20 year programme at
> >Ruapaehu has largely brought the problem under control there, but I
> >know there are diverse tussock ecosystems in the Canterbury /
> >Arthur's Pass area being quite rapidly destroyed by P. contorta
> >spreading from old Forestry Dept. trials.  Initial control is very
> >expensive.
>
> P. contorta spread would only be a problem if one is ajoining an ungrazed
> area. I don't think that's the case here. I'm also considering P. contorta
> for an equally exposed shelter belt.

That's probably true to a degree, although there seems to be some
debate about how far it will spread in the wind, opposite sides of
the fence in the Ruapaehu case claiming something like 30 m and
25 km, or some similarly ridiculous dichotomy.  I've seen solitary
seedlings appear 500 m up hill of the nearest mature trees around
Arthur's Pass.  Given the small seeds I would imagine it could travel
much further.  And as it can start seeding at I think about 3-4 years
there's plenty of potential for a rapid stepping stone effect.

Cheers -tb

Terry Brown                      email: brown at lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz
Lincoln Environmental            http://tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz/~tb
Private Bag 3062 Hamilton        Ph. +64 7 838 5901 W +64 7 855 9001 H
New Zealand                      Fax +64 7 838 5372