Properties of some Asian woods for apartment floor....?

Chris Fama Chris.Fama at soton.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 16:30:56 EST 1996

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REPLY BY E-MAIL; I WILL POST A SUMMARY!
Hi!

I've had the following message from a relative of mine:

"Do you have any contacts in the Botany department who could find out
for me what the following species are:

Shorea Obtusa
Ormosia
Sindora Siamensis

I would like to know what the common name are (if any) and what type of wood. I
have been offered the choice as parquet for my apartment floor in Bangkok but
can't find a translation into English except for these species names."

Alas, I have no Botany contacts, nor has a web search turned up
anything really useful, nor the local Biological Sciences library.

Can anyone point me to some information that is likely to be useful?
E.g., references, web-sites.....   I apologise for the vagueness of
the request ("e.g., type of wood" - !), but I imagine that your guess
as to what someone choosing woods for an apartment floor is interested
in would be as good as mine!  (My relative is moving to Bangkok from
London later this year.  He loves the place.  [I've never been
there..... someday ....!])

I don't know whether our local newsfeed carries these groups, but
probably would miss followups, so I'd *really* appreciate either
summary of any replies, though.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Chris
|   Chris Fama, PhD student and small-time opera fan   cjf at maths.soton.ac.uk  |
|   Australian National University student visiting the Faculty of Maths,     |
|_____Uni._of_Southampton,_Soton_SO17_1BJ,_England._Fax_(+44/0)(1703) 59 5147_|
| Soon were the white doves plain, with necks stretched out, / And            |
| silken traces tightening in descent; / And soon, returning from love's      |
| banishment, / Queen Venus leaning downward open-armed. / Her shadow         |
| fell upon his breast, and charmed / A tumult to his heart, and a new        |
| life / Into his eyes.  Ah, miserable strife, / But for her comforting!      |
| unhappy sight, / But meeting her blue orbs!  Who, who can write / Of        |
| these first minutes?  The unchariest muse / To embracements warm as         |
| theirs makes coy excuse.                                                    |
|                    - Keats, from "Endymion -- A Poetic Romance", book I     |
+--My-home-is-page-at--- http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~fama/Chris_Fama.html ----+
|   Chris Fama, PhD student and opera fan             Chris.Fama at soton.ac.uk  |
|   Australian National University student visiting the Faculty of Maths,     |
|_____Uni._of_Southampton,_Soton_SO17_1BJ,_England._Fax_(+44/0)(1703) 59 5147_|
| If you give me your attention, I will tell you what I am, / I'm a           |
| brilliant mathematician, also something of a ham, / I've tried for          |
| numerous degrees, in fact I've one of each, / Of course that makes me       |
| eminently qualified to teach. / I understand my subject matter              |
| thoroughly, it's true, / And I really don't see why it isn't obvious        |
| to you, / Each lecture is a masterpiece, meticulously planned, / Yet        |
| everybody says that I am hard to understand, / And I can't think why!       |
|     (Tune is "If You Give Me Your Attention" from Gilbert & Sullivan's      |
|      Princess Ida)      - Lehrer                                            |
+--My-home-is-page-at--- http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~fama/Chris_Fama.html ----+