Seeking assistance for a Herpatologist

Ananda Vardhana ananda_vardhan at ccm.jf.intel.com
Mon Jun 3 16:46:59 EST 1996

Hi Friends,

Please find enclosed a small writeup by Sharath on
his work,
his plans for the future and what he needs now. I
am his friend
from India and would like to help him to tour US as
much as
possible in meeting experts from Ecology, forest
conservation
and realted field. I am totally ignorant of all
these. I am a
machine bound software engineer. Please contact
Sharath or me
if you can help him in any way financing his
project in India
or helping him out here in US to travel around and
meet people.
He has slides and other related information to
impart and would
be more tham willing to participate in all relasted
discussions
to mutual benifit. He will be finishing his curent
course by June 14th.
Than he will be spending a weeks time in Newyork
Bronx Zoo.
June 22nd he wants to travel out. In Portland,
Oregon and
Seattle, Washington all his local costs will be met
by me. Transportaion,
boarding and lodging. Other palces even that will
have to be financed.
We are looking at something to the tune of $500 at
the minimum which
will cover his west coast trip. A $500 grant for
him would go a long way
in his US tour and understanding the ecology more.
It could be arranged
with the Smithsonian to provide any reference
needed to authenticate
the finance grant reasons.

yours sincerely

ananda vardhana
June 3rd, 1996
629-8764(Home)
264-2528(WOrk)

Sharath: 540-635-6528

PS: Since Sharth is in a vert remote area right now
his email is not guranteed
to work always. His phone is also bit shacky.

*****************

I am here at the Smithsonian, in Front Royal,
Virginia to
participate in a course.  The course is to Measure
and
Monitor the Biodiversity.  Back home I just
finished a
project to develop methods to Monitor the
Biodiversity of
the Westen Ghats in South India.  At the moment I
intend to
set up a permanent Biodiversity Monitoring station
in the
Western Ghats.

Basicaly I am a Herpetologist studing the Snakes of
India.
We have 156 species of them and 94 of them are
endemic to
the Western Ghats. One family the Uropeltidae with
6 genera
and 46 speices are endemic to the Western Ghats.  I
am
particularly intrested in the conservation and
study of
these rare and endangered snakes.  These snakes are
fosorial
and play an important role in the soil ecology of
the
tropical rain forests.  At the moment I am looking
for
agencies to fund a conservation and study project
targeted
towards these animals.  I have also information and
intentions in the long run to study the KING COBRA
the real
king of the forest in the Western Ghats.

A word about the Western Ghats:  The 1800 km long
mountian
North to South in South (Penincular) India is
around 4000 ft
on an average and is studded with high rising peaks
of
ranging from 6000 t0 8500 ft.  The vegitation here
is
basicaly Tropical Rain forests and is evergreen in
nature.
This region is classified by Meyer as one of the
HOT SPOTS
in biodiversity conservation.  It has a very rich
biodiversity and is unique for its endimic speices.

My institution where I work has local base and is
culturly
and politicaly influencing the regional people.
Apart from
teaching Zoology here I also do a lot of education
work to
educate the rural folk and children the need for
conservation of nature.

There is much more to elaborate if I had a chance
to address
people who are intrested in knowing and supporting
such
conservation work in the hot spot area of the
tropics.

Thank you.

Sharath B. Krishna
<ic.simab at ic.si.edu>