Log exports; was field skills lacking?

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Wed Dec 10 23:28:09 EST 1997

Yes, at present this is off private land. In the not too recent past,
most state wood (DNR) was also exportable except cedar. In the dim
distant past, (the 70s) USFS wood except for Alaska Yellow Cedar was
exportable. Now exportable DNR sales are quite rare and not high
quality. These conditions are set on the prospectus.

As far as competition from local mills, well, there aren't many and what
do manage an existance have specialized in the "domestic" grades,
meaning what used to be left here: rough 3S, pulp, now even 4S. A very
few specialty mills have eaked out a living cutting utility from cull
logs and hardwood but export was the way of life. And if you think it
didn't bring in the cash, loggers had a better income than most
"educated" city folk I knew! It was a harsh surprise for many of these
guys when logging played out and they had to learn "uhh, you want fries
with that?"