Logging Aesthetics

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Thu Mar 27 19:07:42 EST 1997

In the PNW we often leave buffers along roads (beauty strips)to prevent
the wind from getting into the interior of a thinned stand. The USFS
left a famous one at Lake Quinalt on the west side of the Peninsula. Its
probably got greater than 60MBF per acre in BIG Spruce and Fir. You can
just barely see through to the other side. For protection from "outside"
humidity, just one habitat variable, its probably not big enough.
 I think that the logical end product is the elimination of the whole
idea of buffer strips >> you just thin to varying degrees everywhere.