Forestry Censorship...

BOBNDWOODS bobndwoods at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 13:21:46 EST 1997

In article <01bcc885$03439ea0$428792cd at woodtick.lebmofo.com>, "Ron
Wenrich" <woodtick at lebmofo.com> writes:

>I'm not familiar with Southern management practices, but here in the NE,
>branches are routinely left by loggers.  In fact, I prefer to have the
>branches left, since 90% of the nurtients are in the leaves and fines (so
>I've been told).  I know it's a pain to plant around the branches,
>especially if you're corn rowing trees.
>
>Are branches routinely harvested in the South?

Much of what un-initiated landowners refer to as the limbs and other
"mess" left by loggers is actually the non-merchantable understory which is
pretty well butchered by the logging equipment.  The better loggers (and we
actually have some of these) will cut broken understory so it will lay
flat.  This really helps reduce the "bomb blast" effect of logging
operations which most landowners find objectionable.  Tops which are not
"lopped" or cut to lay flat, and the practice of backing felled trees
through standing timber with a skidder, as a means of delimbing, leaves
small piles of debris scattered around the job site.  These are more
difficult to deal with than the concentrated limb piles left at the loading
decks by loggers who use a mechanical delimber.  Any way you look at it,
most modern logging will not leave the bulk of the residue distributed
evenly over the site.

On the other hand, a whole tree chipper on site leaves it looking like an
ag field with stumps.

Bob Miller
Alabama Registered Forester