Global Free Logging Agreement

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Mon Nov 1 23:22:15 EST 1999

Ted Kegebein wrote:

<snip>

> The real issue is whether or not Congress should withdraw from
> GATT, the WTO, etc., etc.

Agreed.

> Congress has that power, if they
> fail to exercise that power, it will be because the rules
> set up by such treaties are in the interest of free trade.

No.  It will be because their fat asses are totally bought and paid for by the
same corporate "entities" that set up those rules.

> Remember this: history teaches us what high tariffs do to
> the world's economy (Depression).

History teaches us no such thing.  The Depression was the result of the
economy being sucked dry by the same type of corporate suck heads that are
sucking it dry now.  Tariffs had nothing to do with it, unless your a
resucklican. <G>

<snip>

> Call it what you wish. But I notice that the large American timber
> corporations are the ones who wish to stifle free trade.
> They should not be protected any more than any other sector of the
> economy.

Corporate bullshit.  It's Weyerhaeuser, Boise Cascade, International Paper,
Georgia-Pacific, Plum Creek, et al who are behind the Global Free Logging
Agreement.  They want it because it will enable them to suck even harder on
even more third world resources.  That's the name of the game: sucking more
and sucking harder.

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
http://www.daviesand.com

Northeastern Forestry Reformation List Server
http://www.igc.topica.com/lists/nefr-list