"Forest and the Trees" by Senator Larry Craig, Senator (R), Idaho

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Sat Nov 13 13:58:41 EST 1999

I have to point out that most of the area Clinton is "protecting" has
already been protected, some spots ever since RARE 1. This seems to be a
pretty cheap shot.

On the Olympic, the existing National Forest Wilderness and Roadless
Areas (that's a title, not a description) are included in the new deal.
Oddly, all are accessible via roads. One new NF roadless area,
(literally roadless because it's isolated by terrain, rivers and
national park boundaries) has been added.
As for any application to the real NF road issues: There is no attempt
to deal with the insane and anarchic ORV and ATV use in the remaining
areas of the Forest.  There is no money to fix the last few years
backlog of washed out roads. And there is no plan to decommission
"legacy" roads.