What is misseltoe worth?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Nov 15 21:20:25 EST 1999

posted and mailed

In article <800jom$ft$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, truffler1635 at my-deja.com writes:

> A lot of people like looking at this white "berries", but I
> believe both the plant and berries are poisonous. (Anyone sure about
> this?) I have a lot of it on my family's property. It is usually spread
> by birds, who eat the berries then defecate on other tree branches. The
> seeds sprout, penetrating the wood, and start to sap nutrients from the
> host tree.

Are you familiar with Nichols Garden Nursery in Albany?  Years ago, when
Old Mr. Nichols was still alive, he published a catalog with all sorts of
herb lore mixed in with the sales listings.  I remember his listing for
mistletoe tea, which said something like, "Strongly stimulant.  Not
recommended."  I assume that his "strongly stimulant" was similar to
strychnine, which causes muscle tetany.

I was sorry to see a recent Nichols catalog.  No more witches' herbs, all
yuppie stuff.  I guess whoever took it over didn't care for herb lore.

-- Larry