Save Our Forests!!!

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 15 10:06:13 EST 1999

In article <7u61no$kv5$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  snowangel at my-deja.com wrote:
> Support the Wilderness Act Reform Coalition - www.wildernessreform.com
>
> Read the book about environmental errors - "Uncommon Groung: Rethinking
> the Human Place in Nature"  edited by William Cronon.  Collection of
> essays, including "The Trouble With Wilderness"
>
> Setting aside forest lands for wilderness to prevent development is one
> thing, but taking the 'hands off' approach in its management will
> destroy the forests for the next generations.

I don't think it is being removed from development, nor is 'hands off'
management to be practiced. But it is time for the Feds to start
managing on a sustainable basis, which would include IMO cultivation of
mycorrhizal fungi. (After all, how *sustainable* is anything when you
aren't actually *growing* it?)

Ectomycorrhizal fungi are extremely important to tree growth and health.
Most tree farmers (and NF and BLM) don't know what they are, can't
recognize the most common forms, haven't heard about them, and deal with
them only from a deep denial standpoint. Since only 50-100 species have
been cultivated (that I am aware of), and 3000 species are known with
Douglas fir alone, I think there is a lot to be said for vastly reduced
harvesting in national forests and public lands.

Add to this the strong suspicion that there is a succession of
mycorrhizae as individual trees mature, and the basis for set-asides
becomes imporant as sources for inoculant of future trees.

It has been said that only God can grow a tree. I'd question that, up to
60 years of age. I believe that age of tree have been well-documented
over much of the world. But I'm concerned that growing 200-1200 years
old trees is well out of mankind's reach at this time.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.