TIMBER INDUSTRY EXPLOITS NORTHERN WILDFIRES

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue Aug 29 00:21:23 EST 2000

In article <39AA8CD2.1756194D at olympus.net>,
  "Mike H." <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
> They probably don't have stockholders.

You're right, Mike. As private timber-owners, they don't have
stockholders, except themselves, of course.

I *think* they are mostly interested in not destroying the resource. The
big timber companies have already shown how to do that in the midwest,
especially in the Great Lakes area. It wasn't until the denuded
forestlands became more like the amber waves of flame that someone urged
the major timber companies to start replanting. Of course, that's didn't
work good.

So the people wrote their congressmen, who _made_ them replant. Then,
suddenly, it was every timber company's original idea. ;)

You'll forgive me if I don't wax eloquent about big timber.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com