Capitella General Report

Eugene D. Gallagher Gallagher at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Mon Oct 11 13:20:39 EST 1999

We have at least 4 Capitella sibling species in Boston Harbor (Capitella
sp. I, Ia, II, & IIIa).

These species were identified by Judy Grassle using starch gel
electrophoresis of allozymes.  The species also differ markedly in
reproductive modes.  Some features of their biology and abundance is
described in Gallagher & Keay (1998), which I've posted as a pdf on my
web page http://www.es.umb.edu/edgwebp.htm.

While Capitella sp. I is found in both the intertidal and subtidal, we've
never found it to be the numerical dominant.  Capitella sp. Ia, which can
exceed 8 cm's in length as an adult, was dominant in the subtidal, and
Capitella sp. IIIa was dominant in the intertidal.

At 11:20 PM 10/10/1999 -0700, you wrote:
> I'm working on a report about Capitella, in particular, Capitella Sp. I
> that is  found in a Mass. estuary.  I'm looking for general
> pictures/diagrams and  information on Capitella sp.  Any suggestions on
> sites I can check out?

Eugene D. Gallagher
Environmental, Coastal & Ocean Sciences
UMASS/Boston