[Annelida] Sabella spallanzanii in Lyttelton NZ?

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Wed Sep 3 18:02:12 EST 2008

Hi all,

An update for those interested in the Sabella spallanzanii incursion in the port area of Lyttelton Harbour.
Last week we did our best to harvest all detectable worms there - I should be able to tell you more later on about the actual results & the future outlook.

Meantime here's the official news releases:

Systematic hand picking removal off wharf piles and local moored vessels by divers, and further assessment of the population structure, began last week, following very low numbers recovered in scoping earlier searches.

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncabb/abb/2008-28/fanworm

The photo in the print version of the newsletter looks much better than in the online pdf - not bad considering the animals were very dead at the time! Can you tell? We have excellent photos from life now.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/media/22-8-08/marine-pest

Such a pity that this lovely sabellid has arrived unwanted in the wrong place and must be culled.

 Geoff Read <g.read from niwa.co.nz>
   http://www.annelida.net/
  http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncabb/