Fwd: SV: [Annelida] Freshwater tube worm

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Mon Dec 20 19:40:54 EST 2010

Forwarding a reply to the list which ended up in the wrong place.

===========================

Erséus<christer.erseus from zool.gu.se> wrote:
> Hi Charley,
>
> It certainly looks like an oligochaete, but I think it is member of
the
> family Naididae (today suggested to include the former Tubificidae).
If it is
> asexually reproducing and the specimen is in bad shape - but in
alcohol - I
> would still be happy to attempt identifying it using its DNA barcode.
It may

(http://www.northernnaturalists.com/invert_tracks.html).
> The unanimous opinion about the freshwater tubes was that they were
the work
> of some insect, and that there is no freshwater worm that would
construct
> tubes of that size.  Well, I determined those particular tubes to be
the work
> of dipseudopsid caddisfly larvae, but this summer I found a colony of
tubes
> in a puddle under some power lines, and got some photos of the worms
that
> were living in them:
>
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/479651 (the tubes, projecting ~1.5 cm
out of
> the sediment)
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/479755 (a worm extending from one of
the
> tubes)
> http://bugguide.net/node/view/479650 (a worm extracted from one of
the
> tubes)
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about what these worms might be,
and also
> if anyone would be willing to examine a specimen.  I have the worm
from the
> third photo in alcohol, but it's in bad shape (broken into pieces)
and I
> would try to collect some more next summer if anyone wanted to take a
look.

> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Charley Eiseman

NIWA is the trading name of the National Institute of Water &
Atmospheric Research Ltd.