[Annelida] Ophelia remanei type location

D Hall via annelida%40net.bio.net (by DavidHall from unicomarine.com)
Thu Feb 23 05:18:08 EST 2012

Thanks Geoff & Charlene,

It is the validity of these synonymies, O.cluthensis & O.remanei, that we
are investigating and as the descriptions are vague, reviewing type material
should help resolve the identity of our specimens (or eliminate a couple of
scenarios).

We have intertidal specimens from S.E. England with the following basic
characteristics:
24 setigers
body formula 11a+8b+5a
ventral furrow from s8 or s9
single large ventral anal papilla - clearly bifurcate
10 small rounded anal papillae

Firstly reviewing the British list of potential species broadly matching
these characters, we have eliminated O.laubieri (no branchiae) and O.rathkei
(single large ventral anal papilla, figured in Hartmann-Schroder).
Therefore, we are starting with an investigation into synonyms, before
exploring any likely species introductions.

Many thanks,

Dave.