[Annelida] Another plea for help

Maria Capa via annelida%40net.bio.net (by maria.capa from ntnu.no)
Fri Apr 4 02:24:14 EST 2014

Dear Lena,
In our recently published Branchiomma paper we found that, what could be considered as different species based  on the shape and development of the radiolar stylodes (a character that has been traditionally used to separate species), were genetically identical or very similar (using both mitochondrial and nuclear genes) - what we explained as intraspecific phenetic plasticity. Other previously considered specific diagnostic features varied within these populations. So I think you could find here an example of what you are looking for. I hope it helps!

Capa, M., Pons, J. & Hutchings, P. (2013). Cryptic diversity, intraspecific phenetic plasticity and recent geographical translocations in Branchiomma (Sabellidae, Annelida). -Zoologica Scripta, 42, 637-655. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/zsc.12028/abstract

Cheers, Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Elena Kupriyanova
Sent: 4. april 2014 06:05
To: Annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Annelida] Another plea for help

Dear friends and colleagues,

Thank you so much for all the references on cryptic species you have provided. Interestingly enough, I still cannot find any polychaete (or any
other) examples of the situation when what looked like several closely species or a species complex based on morphology turns out to be a single genetically uniform species. Is this situation really so uncommon or am I missing something? I would appreciate any help here :) Wormly, Lena _______________________________________________
Annelida mailing list
Post: Annelida from net.bio.net
Help/archive: http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/annelida
Resources: http://www.annelida.net