[Annelida] Reminder Annelid workshop

Kenneth Halanych via annelida%40net.bio.net (by ken from auburn.edu)
Wed Mar 11 13:28:17 EST 2015

Dear all,
A reminder as the deadline is coming up March 15th. We are hosting an annelids workshop at Friday Harbor Labs in late August. The workshop will provide field experience and cover topics a range of topics (see below).

The cost of the workshop (including room and board) is  $1800 USD.

More information is given at http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/studentSummer2015.html#SumB-xxx.

ANNELID WORKSHOP

NON-CREDIT WORKSHOP
August 24 - September 12 (3 weeks), applications due March 15 Workshop participants arrive Sunday, Aug. 23 after 3:00 p.m. (program includes dinner on Sunday, Aug. 23 and breakfast on Saturday, Sept. 12)

Dr. Ken Halanych
Auburn University - ken from auburn.edu<mailto:ken from auburn.edu>

 Dr. Anja Schulze
Texas A&M University at Galveston - schulzea from tamug.edu<mailto:schulzea from tamug.edu>

Dr. Damhnait McHugh
Colgate University - dmchugh from colgate.edu<mailto:dmchugh from colgate.edu>

Dr. Frank Edward (Andy) Anderson
Southern Illinois University  - feander from siu.edu<mailto:feander from siu.edu>

Annelids comprise >16000 recognized species that occupy a wide range of marine, freshwater and terrestrial environments. Many members of this ancient group are ecologically and economically important as ecosystem engineers, as the basis of commercial enterprises, as indicators of environmental health, as invasive or pest species and as being arguably the most abundant metazoans in the deep sea, which covers ∼60% of the planet. As one of the few segmented phyla, annelids are key to understanding the evolution of bilaterian body plans.

The course will have a focus on annelid diversity at the organismal level by integrating three key areas; functional morphology, phylogenetic theory, and genomic resources. We will explore these topics on time scales that span the history of the group on the planet. For example, we will use phylogenetics and genomic data to examine the originals annelids and placement of taxa such as Echiura, Sipuncula and Clitellata within the annelid radiation. On the other extreme we will explore the genetic connectivity of present data species, for example, in the Northern Pacific (USA northeastern Pacific to Japan). These discussions will be rooted in a working knowledge of organismal form and function. How have these animals changed during the time scales under consideration? Although the focus will be largely on evolution and biodiversity questions, we will also touch on other topics to cover the breadth of annelid biology including ecology, feeding, reproduction and development. The course will be predominately marine, but terrestrial and aquatic forms will also be covered in both lecture and fieldwork.

Enrollment limited to 15 students.