Arabidopsis Database 1 of 4 parts

Chris.Somerville 21847CRS at MSU.EDU
Sun Aug 8 23:01:00 EST 1993

Several months ago the North American Arabidopsis Steering
Committee announced that we intended to convene a workshop
concerning the database requirements of the Arabidopsis community
and requesting comments and advice from the community. We greatly
appreciated the many suggestions we received, each of which was
considered by the committee.  The following three (long) messages
contain the report which was prepared by the committee following
the workshop. We anticipate that this report will be used by the
federal granting agencies in the USA, and by other institutions
around the world, as a basis for allocating resources for
Arabidopsis database development and maintenance.

In my personal opinion, the report is more interesting than many
workshop reports I have known because it contains some tangible
ideas about how we may be able to exploit recent and pending
developments in networks and software to create entirely new kinds
of powerful information resources. If you have comments on the
report, please publish them on the newsgroup as "open letters" or
send them to me (for distribution to the committee). This report
and any comments will be considered by the Multinational committee
at the Arabidopsis meeting in Ohio. If you
would like a paper copy of the report, please send me a message at
(21847CRS at IBM.CL.MSU.EDU) and I will see you get one.

Chris Somerville, for the North American Steering Committee