Thermal cyclers

Vance Baird Vance_Baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Mar 1 22:12:34 EST 1995

                       Subject:                               Time:9:50 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Thermal cyclers                        Date:3/1/95

Dear Colleagues,
I'd like a little advice before I purchase another thermal cycler.  We
currently use the workhorse of the PCR trade, a P/E-480, and are happy with
its performance - - but are not quite convinced the hefty price tag was/is
really worth it.  The only other machine I've used was one of the first
"peltier" (sp?) types (from Mepco Sci., I think), and I would describe it as
acceptable for its time.  In an attempt to make a well informed decision, I'm
looking for information/guidance/testimonials about other brands and/or other
types of thermal cyclers.  We don't do exclusively one type or another
PCR-based experiment -- we do a little insert amplification, a little
differential display, a little RAPD marker work, very little sequencing,
etc., no in situ's (yet).  Thank you for any and all comments.

Vance_Baird at Quickmail.Clemson.edu
FAX   803-656-4960