Stock information/ordering via WWW

Randall L Scholl rscholl at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Mar 16 10:47:27 EST 1995

Last autumn the AIMS WWW ordering system for Arabidopsis seed and
DNA stocks was initiated at the address
http://genesys.cps.msu.edu:3333/.  Almost immediately, more that
one-half of our orders at ABRC were placed through this system.

Now we are expanding the WWW interface to include stock searching,
and in the near future all AIMS data types will be accessible via
this simple but powerful system. Now the seed
searching/information pages have been installed, so that you can
find stocks, display full information on them including color
images of many stocks and place orders.  In fact, if a search
locates several stocks for which images have been scanned, these
can be compared simultaneously in the same Web page. Note that
there are now approximately 300 images in the system representing
many of the phenotypes of our stocks. Several hundred additional
slides of stocks have been taken and will be scanned and loaded.
It is our goal to photographically document as fully as possible
all new stocks which are added to our collections.

Stock orders can, of course, be initiated easily from the
searching windows using a Web browser. A browser which supports
forms is needed for searching and ordering.  The latest versions
of Mosaic, Netscape and MacWeb all support this function and work
well for these purposes.

The simplest way to access the seed searching system (and soon,
other information pages including ones for DNA clone searches) is
to start from the AIMS home page at the address above.  Just
follow the "New" signs to the main AIMS searching page where you
will see "Seed stock searches:" as the first choice.  Clicking on
this item brings up the stock searching window.

Feel free to send email to the AIMS manager, Jerry Scripps, at
aims-manager at genesys.cps.msu.edu if you have questions. Mr. Jin
Kim of Michigan State University is developing the entire WWW
system for AIMS.  We expect that the DNA searching system will be
available soon and that the full system will be in place by May.

Randy Scholl
ABRC
Ohio State University