Should this group be moderated?

Chris Somerville CRS at ANDREW.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Oct 12 17:29:30 EST 1995

Recently this newsgroup has been used to distribute advertisements
and related material and quite a few misdirected messages (eg.,
"subscribe me").  We can reduce this noise by having the group
moderated.  In practice this means that all messages would first go
to an address where someone would delete inappropriate messages and
send the rest on to the group.  In a way, this is the same problem
that surfaced when the journals were being invented about 300 years
ago.
    If there is widespread support for converting this newsgroup to
moderated format I will arrange it.  However, it would be much easier
to leave it as it is and just put up with the odd annoying message.
Any opinions?
Chris Somerville